Here is where we will post the drafts of the Big Idea chapters.
Each chapter starts with a brief explanation of one big idea
and then describes some of its consequences
in one major region of the world.
The goal is to have a set of concise readings
that meet Common Core readability standards
for informational text in 6th and 7th grade.
They may also be usable as supplementary reading in later grades
and as quick background for teachers who have been assigned
to teach world geography at any grade level.
The layout is intended to provide a concise chapter and at the same time allow teachers to give individual pages about specific consequences to different students and have them report back to the class in some way – oral report, poster, cartoon, electronic presentation, etc.
Here is a page of background information:
And here are drafts of the chapters:
- BI1 Draft chapter about World Map Overlays
- BI2 Draft chapter about Regions in N America
- BI3 Draft chapter about Distance in Australia
- BI4 Draft chapter about Elevation in S America
- BI5 Draft chapter about Latitude in Africa
- BI6 Draft chapter about Area in Russia
- BI7 Draft chapter about Resources in SW Asia
- BI8 Draft chapter about Population in China
- BI9 Draft chapter about Complexity in Europe
- BI10 Draft chapter about Cultures in South Asia
Chapters on Legacies in the United States and Systems in the Oceans are in rough draft.
Suggestions for other chapters? Japan and Korea? The Caribbean? Southeast Asia?
NOTE: These are content drafts. They are still being revised.
In their present form, they may be useful for teacher background,
but they may need revision before using for student reading.
What do you think about spreading each page over two 7×9 book pages?
Or is it more convenient to keep the 8×11 format for easy printing?
Suggestion for other improvements in form and content are welcome! Email email@example.com